Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Media Technologies and Its Place in the Classroom

The importance of media technology in relationship to classroom learning is an ever growing topic of conversation for teachers. For this generation of students it seems that technology resonates with them and thus can have a positive effect on their learning. Consequently, I feel that media technology does have a place in the classroom and can be very appropriate and well received by students. I have seen it used in many productive ways. For example I have had teachers who constantly are showing clips from movies, audio files from the radio, etc. in order to support a topic in class. One memorable experience was when I had a Global Studies professor use Power Point in an engaging way (with sounds, color coding, and pictures). He enhanced his lecture rather than detracting from it. Furthermore, while I am student teaching I have also used media technology to help introduce topics to get students excited about a new unit we are about to begin.

One of my hesitations in using technology is that I feel it can be over used. For every time I have seen media technology used in a productive way I have also seen it used to students' detriment. The over use of power points and movies for the sake of "eating up time" tells students that those media technologies are not for educations sake but for entertainments sake. Another concern I have about media technology, which only became an issue once I began student teaching, is the availability of it. I teach English Language Learners who come from a modest background. Many of them do not have access to technology I can, in no way, ask them to type their reports or even do research on the Internet at home. While the idea of media technology is appealing the reality of its availability can be discouraging.

But, with thoughtful planning and selectivity a teacher can use media technology to enhance understanding and student experience in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Kira,

    I agree that through thoughtful planning and selectivity a teacher can use media technology to enhance understanding. I have also seen some very effective ways that media technology has been used. Now using technology to "eat up" time is horrible and it does give technology in the classroom a bad reputation, but I also think that if teachers received adequate training in how to properly incorporate technology then this might not be such an issue. In many cases, especially with senior teachers I have seen this, but I think we have both seen how effective technology in the classroom can be. As for your concern, I think that the availability of it is just one aspect and that does not really change how effective technology in the classroom can be. Although its availability is limited to your students there is always a library they can go to (public libraries a full of student everyday!) and I am sure they already go to it regularly to check their MySpace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kira-
    I agree with your perspective about technology. For your English Language Learners, couldn't they go to the public library? I had to move alot the past 2 years and often found myself without access to a computer or internet. I found the public libraries with free internet access to be a wonderful tool! I think learning the technology is a very important skill to have. I read in the newspaper lately, yes I still read the newspaper :), that 85% of jobs today require computer knowledge. Without the skill and knowledge, how can someone acquire a good paying job in the future? I think some technology should be required, but not much. :)

    ReplyDelete